February 3, 2023

Sober House

Call 800-373-1667
any time to discuss treatment options Who Answers?
Call Now: 24Hr Sober Hotline 800-373-1667 Who Answers?

Can My Kids Live in a Sober House with Me?

Call 800-373-1667 Toll Free. Privacy Guaranteed. No Commitment.

Help is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Who Answers?

Many sober homes exist where residents can bring their kids, especially gender specific sober living houses that cater to the needs of women. Finding these facilities can sometimes be complicated, but they are incredibly beneficial to those who need to live in a sober environment and still must take care of young children.

Call 800-373-1667 (Who Answers?) toll free anytime for help finding treatment for

Rules are Rules

sober living

Your children may not be able to stay in a sober house with you.

Every facility is governed by a different set of rules, though many of them are similar. For example, most sober living homes require residents to

  • Pay rent
  • Attend support group meetings
  • Attend a weekly meeting at the home
  • Participate in issues associated with house rules and government
  • Refrain from bringing mind-altering substances into the facility
  • Stay at the facility a certain number of nights per week (NCBI)
  • “Be accountable for whereabouts when off… property”

Certain rules remain strict across all types of sober homes (being drug- and alcohol-free) while others can be more lenient (some facilities require that residents have a curfew while others do not). In the same sense, some facilities have specific rules about minors and whether or not they be residents along with their parents who are requiring treatment.

A sober house in San Rafael, CA, for example, allows “children 5 and under” to stay with female residents in their facility (San Luise Obispo County). However, not all facilities abide by these specifics and may allow older children to stay. Other sober homes allow residents of different genders as well as children. Therefore, though many sober houses do allow residents to bring their children to the property to stay with them, there can be strict rules regulating this option.

Finding Sober Houses that Allow Children

In some cases, it can be difficult to find a sober house that will allow your child to stay with you. Especially if the child is older, has specific needs, or if you have more than one child, you may need to search for some time before you find the right facility.

Our directory lists sober homes by state and can help you find those which are closest to you. Once you find a facility in the directory that seems to fit your needs, call and ask if your child or children can stay there with you. Some other questions to ask may be:

  • Is there an age cut-off for minors staying at your facility?
  • Is there an additional fee for children to stay at the facility with a resident?
  • Is daycare provided at your facility for children of residents who must work, go to school, etc.?
  • Do you provide any additional benefits to children of residents?

Once your questions are answered, you will be able to find out if your kids can live in the facility with you and if it will be a beneficial situation for all involved.

In many cases, individuals with young children will need to bring them into a treatment situation which includes those who choose to stay in a sober home. Facilities do exist where this can be achieved and both the resident and their kids can receive the help they need to begin to heal. Call 800-373-1667 (Who Answers?) toll free anytime for help finding a sober home.

Where do calls go?

Calls to numbers on a specific treatment center listing will be routed to that treatment center. Calls to any general helpline (non-facility specific 1-8XX numbers) could be forwarded to SAMHSA or a verified treatment provider. Calls are routed based on availability and geographic location.

The SoberHouse.com helpline is free, private, and confidential. There is no obligation to enter treatment. In some cases, SoberHouse.com could charge a small cost per call, to a licensed treatment center, a paid advertiser, this allows SoberHouse.com to offer free resources and information to those in need. We do not receive any commission or fee that is dependent upon which treatment provider a caller chooses.

Call Us 24/7 To Find Addiction And Housing SupportCall Us 24/7 To Find Addiction And Housing Support800-373-1667
Who Answers?