Is a Sober House Right for You?
Call 800-373-1667 Toll Free. Privacy Guaranteed. No Commitment.Help is standing by 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Who Answers?
According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, there are many treatments for drug addiction and abuse. Choosing the right treatment is often extremely difficult. Many of the treatments are confusing and it is difficult to find a treatment that is a good fit for you. This fit is extremely important for recovery. One of the treatment options you can choose from is a sober house or sober living facility.
Why a Sober Living Residence?
When you are asking yourself, why a sober living residence, it is important to consider what a sober living residence is. It is a safe place for you to go and be sober. Sober living residences encompass the following:
- They are specifically for people who do not use drugs or alcohol.
- They provide a supportive environment.
- Everyone there knows about your addiction so there are no awkward issues.
- This option allows you to take control of your life and circumstances without being exposed to triggering events.
- This option is for people who need a sober environment to transition to.
- There are counselors and staff to help you through cravings.
- You can work on identifying and avoiding your triggers without danger of exposure.
There are many reasons to choose sober living, these are only a few of them.
What Does Sober Living Entail?
Sober living residences provide many things for recovering addicts. They often have specialized programs and services depending on the addiction. Sober living entails:
- Job training
- Sober living skills training
- Taking part in sober activities
- Engaging with others that want to remain sober
- Going to doctors appointments
- Transportation to and from appointments (provided by some facilities)
- Help looking for and keeping a job
- Providing a safe and sane environment for your recovery
Sober houses primarily teach you how to live without the drugs or alcohol.
How Does a Sober Living Residence Benefit you?
Sober living residences benefit you in many ways. Aside from giving you a place to stay, you can find out who you are without the drugs or alcohol. Many people do not know how to live without the addiction, it takes time to learn this.
Most sober living residences have different forms of therapy, holistic practices, and training programs. These programs help you get healthy and get back on your feet. Each person has a different concept of what they want from life after addiction. Sober living lets you discover what you want in a supportive environment without the distraction of triggers.
Sentencing Alternatives and Sober Living
Sometimes courts use sober living as an alternative to jail time for nonviolent offenders. It is a way to get the treatment that you need after an arrest.